Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hypercalcemia - Hip pain, knee pain, back pain, fatigue, brain fog muscle weakness ....

5 posters

Go down

Hypercalcemia - Hip pain, knee pain, back pain, fatigue, brain fog muscle weakness .... Empty Hypercalcemia - Hip pain, knee pain, back pain, fatigue, brain fog muscle weakness ....

Post by BustOfPallas Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:54 pm

I have been feeling pretty horrible for the last several months.   I finally went to the doctor because I was waking with severe adbdominal pain.  I had two bad bouts of diverticulitis last year and have just felt off since.   I went in because of gut issues but when my calcium came back at 10.4 the doctor ordered additional tests and I'm waiting for the results.

She ordered the following:
PTH, Intact
Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy
Pth-related Peptide
BMP panel 

I began having pretty bad hip pain spontaneously last winter,  it has progressed to include a lot of bone pain and muscle weakness.  I have been having a really hard time sleeping and also with concentration at work lately.  My concentration and short term memory are shot and I have been in a state that I would call more anhedonic confusion rather than depressed.  And I'm weak, weak, weak.  It's crazy how weak I feel.

The knee and hip pain is what is really driving me to despair.

So to be honest I'm kind of hoping it's hyperparathyroidism because then maybe it will be something that can get taken care of and I'll feel like my old self.

How did it start for others here that have gone through it?

I'm a 49 year old male by the way.

Thanks,
Mike

BustOfPallas

Back to top Go down

Hypercalcemia - Hip pain, knee pain, back pain, fatigue, brain fog muscle weakness .... Empty Re: Hypercalcemia - Hip pain, knee pain, back pain, fatigue, brain fog muscle weakness ....

Post by Hadleigh Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi Mike and welcome

You do sound in a bad may and all those symptoms could well be due to hpth, your calcium is high so you do need those other results to establish the cause. Are you in the USA ? I'm guessing because your calcium result fits in more with USA ranges.

The list of symptoms for hpth is a long one so everybody will have different experiences, for myself I only found out because I had a low vitd result, that led to calcium and PTH tests and a bit of a tussle to get a diagnosis, took about a year from first high results to surgery. I didn't have many symptoms but it was difficult to tell because I also have thyroid disease which causes many similar problems.

If you do have hpth you will need a good endocrinologist, one who has experience with hpth and then you will need a surgeon with parathyroid op experience, both can be a challenge to track down but it really is important for a successful outcome.

You might want to get a dexa scan to check your bone density, many people have osteopaenia caused by the high calcium.

Hopefully others will be along to add their thoughts, do keep us posted with your results and good luck.

Nelly

Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Hypercalcemia - Hip pain, knee pain, back pain, fatigue, brain fog muscle weakness .... Empty Re: Hypercalcemia - Hip pain, knee pain, back pain, fatigue, brain fog muscle weakness ....

Post by BustOfPallas Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks Nelly.

There are some symptoms I don't have.  I forgot to mention wierd heart palpitations and feelings of breathlessness sometimes.  I would not say I have constipation, my blood pressure is normal.  I don't have excessive thirst or urination although lately at night my mouth is extremely dry even using the humidifier on my CPAP machine.

I have noticed some pain in my neck swallowing.  It's to the side of my adams apple.  I just feel old, tired sick.  My libido is so non existent it's scary.  I thought all this might have been age related and I'm just a whiner but I have had experiences where I will do some exercise then stiffen up and can hardly move.  Shuffling, confused, extreme pain...  I keep telling my wife something is not right.  I feel like something is wrong but I don't know what it is.

As I said.  I'm praying it's something like hyperparathyroidism so I know what it is.   I swear I feel like maybe I'm crazy sometimes.   I know something is not right.  I have not read a lot here but I have been calling my wife when I have a bad spell, or early in the morning when I'm stapled to the bed and saying I don't feel well, somethings wrong .....

BustOfPallas

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi Mike

I suggest that you get your Thyroid bloods tested, as some your symptoms could be Hypothyroidism or Hyperparathyroidism.

The important thyroid hormones are TSH, Free T3 and Free T4. Do not accept 'fine' or 'normal', but ask for a copy of your results. TSH has limited use, but some docs are taught that it is the only indicator (incorrectly).
Getting diagnosis and hormone replacement can be a fight, because the guidelines are inadequate.

Edwin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi Mike,

I haven't been on here for a while.    Too much going on and just can't find adequate computer time.     Actually, too busy researching and going to appointments and for tests.     Then there are gymnastics meets to watch my granddaughters' compete.   Just too much going on.    Can't seem to keep up with anything anymore!

I am 2 years and 3 months post-op.     I had 2 parathyroid adenomas removed.  Still dealing with a lot of other issues.   It's so hard to determine what is causing what!     I just keep researching and looking for answers.   One by one, I'm getting all of the issues taken care of.

I agree with all Nelly and Edwin said up there.    I hope you do post your levels when your lab results are in.    Edwin is right about not being satisfied if your doctors tell you your levels are normal, so there is not a problem.    I was told that more times than I can count over the past 5 years.     The doctors were all wrong every time they said it!    We would be happy to help you determine whether or not there is an issue or issues.    I'm anxious to know your lab results when they are available.

Your symptoms do sound like hyperparathyroidism and/or hypothyroidism.    When you mentioned the shortness of breath, that made me think also of maybe iron deficiency and also hypoaldosteronism (an adrenal issue).     I was VERY, VERY weak when my aldosterone was low!!    I was also very nauseous, and had VERY low blood pressure.   My pressure fell to 76/43 an stayed right around there for a couple of months before I finally diagnosed myself and convinced my PA to order the necessary tests to diagnose it herself.       I'm wondering if you might have some adrenal issues as well.

Before I started treatment for the iron deficiency, I was VERY short of breath.   You might want to ask your doctors about testing you for an iron deficiency as well.    If you do, make sure you have your ferritin tested as well.   Ferritin is our iron storage.    When ferritin is too low, that is an iron deficiency.   When the serum iron is too low, that is full blown anemia.   Please know that your iron and ferritin can be within the normal range, and you can still have a deficiency.    Normal ferritin is 11-307.  Mine was 11 when diagnosed.    My doctors kept telling me there wasn't a problem, since it was within the normal range.     I learned that my ferritin should be at least 110!    So I've been taking iron supplements now for about 11 months.     My ferritin and iron are increasing nicely.

I had horrible hip and knee pain before my parathyroid surgery.    The strange thing was that this awful pain only occurred when I lied down and tried to sleep.   Once I woke up and got to moving around again, this pain subsided.   Everybody is different.   I'm sure there are people who have this pain all the time and not just when they are resting.

No, you are not  crazy, and don't let anybody tell you that you are!     I'm very anxious to see more test results for you.    Would be more than happy to try to help you figure this all out. 

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:31 am

Hi Mike

Have you got those lab results back yet?

That was some switched-on doctor you found there, as those are the right tests to do when calcium comes back high in its range.

Let us have the other results (at least the first 3 you list above) as soon as you can, as if the PTH is high at the same time as a high-in-its-range calcium (like 10.4) this couold indicate a parathyroid disorder.

In the meantime, have a look at the very useful information on parathyroid.com. A lot of us have found it very informative.

Best of Wishes, Tigerlily.

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down